Australian Shepherd Puppies for Sale in New Jersey
If you’re looking for an Australian Shepherd puppy, you may be wondering where to find breeders in your area. Luckily, there are many reputable Aussie breeders in New Jersey and we have listed them down below.
Australian shepherds are medium-sized dogs with a sturdy build and medium to long coats. They are very intelligent, loyal, active pets that make good companions for the right family. Their “shepherd” instincts are strong, so they need an owner who understands how to display proper leadership skills in order to keep them from becoming overprotective of their family or acting out against strangers. On the other hand, this characteristic makes them excellent watchdog material too.
If you’re interested in owning an Australian Shepherd but not familiar with what goes into caring for them, then check out some useful tips on this page.
Australian Shepherd Breeders List in New Jersey
|Cross Keys K9 Inc||Williamstown, NJ||856-776-6138||Website|
|Furrylicious Puppy Boutique||Whitehouse Station, NJ||908-747-4417||Website|
|Metro K9 Academy||Randolph, NJ||973-245-9910||Website|
|Shake A Paw Green Brook||Dunellen, NJ||732-968-2522,
|Best of Breed||Englishtown, NJ||732-446-9370||Website|
Australian Shepherd Breeder Details in New Jersey
Cross Keys K9 Inc
Furrylicious Puppy Boutique
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Metro K9 Academy
Shake A Paw Green Brook
Call: 732-968-2522, 908-490-6623
Best of Breed
Alternative Places to Purchase a Australian Shepherd Puppy
Australian Shepherd Breeders in Neighboring States
- Australian Shepherd Breeders in Connecticut
- Australian Shepherd Breeders in Maryland
- Australian Shepherd Breeders in New York
- Australian Shepherd Breeders in Pennsylvania
For the complete list please see our Listings of Breeders page.
What is The Average Price for An Australian Shepherd Puppy in New Jersey?
The average price for an Australian Shepherd puppy in New Jersey ranges from $500 to $1,000. However, prices may vary depending on the breeder’s location, the age and quality of the puppy, and whether or not the pup has been bred before.
Purebred Australian shepherds typically cost more than their crossbred counterparts. If you’re planning on getting an Aussie puppy, make sure to check out our list of New Jersey Australian Shepherd breeders and contact them right away.
The color of your Aussie may also impact the price, depending on what the pup’s color is. Some of the most popular shepherds are merles, which usually cost $100 to $300 more than non-merle pups.
How to Find A Responsible Australian Shepherd Breeder in New Jersey
New Jersey has plenty of responsible Australian shepherd breeders to pick from. Below we’ll list some helpful tips for finding a responsible breeder.
1. Ask for referrals from friends or family members who may have purchased a pup before.
2. Visit the kennel and ask to see where the dogs are being raised, as well as their mother. Make sure they look healthy and happy.
3. Always make an appointment first before paying a visit, so you don’t get there at feeding time or when someone isn’t around.
4. If you’ve done your research online already, ask if the breeder is currently advertising any Australian Shepherd puppies for sale on sites like Craigslist or Kijiji – that way you can arrange a meeting with them right away.
5. Avoid going with impulse – never purchase a dog immediately following a first meeting, especially if it’s from a place you’ve never been before.
6. Ask for their registration papers so you can be sure the pup’s parents are registered with the AKC and have met their standards. The breeder should also provide you with a health guarantee and contract. Don’t forget to ask for references too.
7. Ask about their return policy, in case things don’t work out between you and your pup in the future.
Visit Your New Jersey Australian Shepherd Breeder in Person
We hope that this list of Australian Shepherd breeders in New Jersey has been helpful for you. Once you’ve found a breeder that you feel comfortable with, we suggest paying them a visit in person to get to know them better and ask any questions you may have.
Visiting the breeder will allow you to see where the puppies are being raised, as well as their mother. This is a great opportunity to get to know the breeder and see if they’re someone you feel comfortable doing business with.
If everything checks out and you decide to buy a pup from them, we suggest signing a contract – this will protect both you and the breeder in case something goes wrong down the road. Always be sure to ask for references too.
We wish you luck in finding your new best friend – may he or she be an Australian Shepherd.
Questions to Ask
Ask for References from Your Australian Shepherd Breeder in New Jersey
When picking a breeder, it’s important to ask for references from people who have purchased puppies from them in the past. This will help you get an idea of the breeder’s character and whether or not they’re someone you can trust.
If the breeder is registered with the AKC, they should be able to provide you with a list of references upon request. Be sure to check out their website too – many breeders have testimonials from happy customers on there.
References will be able to tell you how long they’ve been in business with the breeder, whether or not they were happy with their experience and whether or not they bought a healthy puppy. They will also be able to tell you about the temperament of the pup’s parents, which can be a good indicator of what the pup will be like when they grow up.
Ask Your New Jersey Australian Shepherd Breeder if You Can Meet Past Customers
You are also encouraged to ask your breeder if you can meet past customers. This is a great way to get honest reviews about the breeder and their puppies, as well as how healthy they were when they arrived.
If this is not possible, ask for pictures of previous puppy litters so you have an idea of what the pups will look like when they grow up.
What to Ask Your New Jersey Australian Shepherd Breeder
Before purchasing your pup from any New Jersey Australian shepherd breeders, it’s important that you’re asking the right questions. Some questions include:
- How long have you been breeding Aussies?
- Are both parents AKC registered? Do I get their papers with my purchase?
- What kind of guarantee do you offer?
- How big will my puppy be when full-grown? Will I be able to meet the parents?
- What are your dogs’ temperaments like? Are they outgoing, shy or skittish?
- Do you separate any of the puppies, and if so what age is that usually at?
Once you’ve purchased your pup from your breeder, make sure you’re prepared for it. Things like crates and toys are always good things to have on hand prior to bringing home a new member of the family. Also consider joining an Australian Shepherd forum, as this is where most dog owners go to discuss problems related to their pets.
Does Your New Jersey Australian Shepherd Breeder Have A Good Veterinarian They Use?
If you’re not sure about the health of your pup, be sure to ask your breeder if they have a good veterinarian that they use. This is important, as you’ll want to continue taking your pup there for routine checkups and vaccinations.
A good breeder/veterinarian relationship is one that is built on trust and mutual respect. The veterinarian should be able to tell you about the health of your pup and whether or not they’re up-to-date on their shots.
It’s also important that you find a veterinarian who is comfortable treating Australian Shepherds – not all vets have experience with this breed.
Good breeders will also be happy to answer any questions you have about caring for your new puppy – so don’t hesitate to ask.
If the breeder won’t give you the name of their veterinarian, it’s probably best to find a new breeder.
Be Prepared to Spend Money on Your New Jersey Australian Shepherd
Australian Shepherds are generally healthy dogs, but like any breed, they can develop health problems as they get older. This is why it’s important to be prepared to spend money on routine vet checkups, vaccinations and potential treatments down the road.
In addition, Australian Shepherds require a lot of exercise – make sure you have plenty of room in your yard for them to run around in.
Look Out for the Signs of An Unethical Australian Shepherd Dog Breeder in New Jersey
Not all Australian Shepherd breeders are created equal, but you can spot the signs of an unethical breeder. These include:
- Unwilling to let you meet their pups’ parents – this is a sure sign that something is wrong. If both parents aren’t present, your pup might not be as healthy as you think it is.
- Refuses to give you the names of past customers so you can contact them for references – potential red flag. You should be provided with plenty of references who have purchased puppies from them in the past.
- Doesn’t have a good relationship with their veterinarian – if they don’t have anyone they trust enough to take their dogs to, what does that tell you about their business practices?
- Charging you an arm and a leg for your pup – this is definitely one of the worst signs that your breeder is unethical. Good breeders will ask for $500-800, while puppy mills charge upwards of $1,000 for their pups.
Ask The New Jersey Breeder if Your Australian Shepherd Puppy Has Any Health Problems
A good breeder will be able to tell you about any health problems that your pup’s parents have. They’ll also provide you with referrals for veterinary care in the event of an emergency.
If your breeder doesn’t know anything about your dog’s history or can’t give you this information, find another breeder.
Puppy mills are known for selling dogs with tons of health problems – so don’t get caught up in their scams.
How to Prepare Your Home for Your Australian Shepherd Puppy
Bringing home a new puppy is always an exciting time, but there’s a lot of work that goes into preparing your home for them. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Make sure you have plenty of food and water bowls, as well as a crate and toys.
- Create a safe space for your pup to sleep in – this could be a kennel or an area blocked off with baby gates.
- If you have other pets in the house, make sure they’re properly introduced before bringing the new puppy home. This includes making sure they’re both vaccinated.
- Be prepared to walk your dog multiple times per day and give them plenty of playtime outside. Australian Shepherds require a lot of exercise.
- Start putting them on a schedule right away – this includes feeding and walking times. Your pup will thank you later.
- Make sure your yard is properly fenced in so they can’t escape from it.
Potty Training Your New Australian Shepherd Puppy
One of the first things you’ll need to do with a new puppy is train them to go potty outside. Here are a few tips:
- Make sure they have access to water at all times. Pups can’t hold it for very long, so you’ll want to make sure they always have a bowl on hand.
- Crate training is an excellent way for your pup to learn where they’re allowed and not allowed – praise dogs who use their crates as their own little rooms. Take this opportunity to start getting them used to being inside while you’re at work or sleeping.
- Start housebreaking right away – take your pup outside frequently and encourage them every time they go potty in the right place.
Get a Dog Crate for Your Australian Shepherd Puppy
A dog crate is one of the best things you can buy for your new pup. They’ll use it as their own personal room, which will make house training much easier. Start using it now and they’ll thank you later.
Good luck on your search, and happy puppy hunting!