Top Breeders | Average Price | Questions to Ask
Dachshund Puppies for Sale in Illinois
Dachshund Puppies for Sale in Illinois Dachsies are very active dogs which are often used by hunters. They have natural instincts that are part of their breeding, however you must still train them. The first instinct is the digging instinct. Any place you do not want them to go move it or cover it with something because if they want to go there they will find a way. They love to dig and bury things so make sure you give them somewhere else where they can do this like an outside dog pen with dirt or even sand will work great for this need. If you don’t then be prepared for holes in your yard and their paws will smell like dirt all the time. Another instinct is to use it as a pillow at night, they love to cuddle up on you or your dog laying down.
Dachshund Breeders List in Illinois
|B & C Kennels||Clare, IL||815-545-6733||Website|
|Happiness Is Pets||Orland Park, IL||708-403-3223||Website|
|L P Weiner Farm||Norris City, IL||618-962-3019||Website|
|Happy Tails Enterprises||Ashley, IL||618-521-0159||Website|
|Heartland Dachshunds||Mount Vernon, IL||618-231-1906||Website|
|Mabry Kennels LLC||Murphysboro, IL||618-521-5719||Website|
|Jana Clutts||Cobden, IL||618-713-8057||No Website|
Dachshund Breeder Details in Illinois
B & C Kennels
Happiness Is Pets
Orland Park, IL
L P Weiner Farm
Norris City, IL
Happy Tails Enterprises
Mount Vernon, IL
Mabry Kennels LLC
Alternative Places to Purchase a Dachshund Puppy
Dachshund Breeders in Neighboring States
- Dachshund Breeders in Indiana
- Dachshund Breeders In Kentucky
- Dachshund Breeders in Iowa
- Dachshund Breeders in Missouri
- Dachshund Breeders in Wisconsin
For the complete list please see our Dachshund Reference Links page.
What is The Average Price for A Dachshund Puppy in Illinois?
The average price for a dachshund in Illinois is around $500 however this can vary depending on the breeder. If you want a high quality dog from a reputable breeder be prepared to pay at least $800. There are some breeders who will charge even more if they have a champion bloodline going back generations so check with your local kennel club or the Better Business Bureau before you buy from anyone.
What Should I Be Looking For In A Dachshund Puppy?
When picking out your puppy there are several things that you should be aware of and look out for when choosing from various litters. Some things to watch for is a pup whose ears do not stand up. If this is the case you should ask the breeder to replace it with a different pup. This means that they were too young when the ears were taped and they will not stand properly when they get older. You also want to make sure that none of them have cropped tails or deformed feet. Also watch for any health issues such as watery eyes, runny noses, and splayed feet. Any sort of discharge from their eyes needs to be treated right away because it can lead to blindness and eye infections if left untreated while maggots on their feet can cause more serious problems later on in life like arthritis which may even need surgery later on down the road so watch for these things carefully before making your purchase online or in person.
What Health Problems Do Dachshunds Have?
There are several health problems that a dachshund can have which should be looked out for. Any sort of discharge from their eyes needs to be treated right away because it can lead to blindness and eye infections if left untreated while maggots on their feet can cause more serious problems later on in life like arthritis which may even need surgery later on down the road so watch for these things carefully before making your purchase online or in person. They also have a tendency to get slipped discs as well as having issues with their knees. This is usually not too big of a problem but you will want to make sure that you can afford to take them back and forth to the vet.
How to Find A Responsible Dachshund Breeder in Illinois?
When looking for a responsible breeder you want to look for someone who is not in it just for the money. They should also have their breeding vet check all of the dogs before they are allowed to breed them. Also find out who their dog’s parents are and how many litters they have had in the past, this will tell you how picky they are when they are picking out bloodlines that they want to work with in order to make sure that any pups born go up on the market healthy, happy, and ready to be great family companions.
Visit Your Illinois Dachshund Breeder in Person
If you are looking for a responsible breeder then the best place to look is in your local area. If you have already found someone online or through other means, this may be fine as well so long as you see where they keep their dogs and how many litters they usually have each year. The more litters they produce per year the less likely it is that they are being selective about who breeds with whom which can lead to health problems down the road for any pups that are born. Make sure that you check out all of their dog’s parent’s before agreeing to buy from them if this is not something that you feel comfortable doing then don’t do it. It is far better to pay a little bit extra money up front and know that you are getting a healthy pup from the start then to pay less and have an unhealthy one later.
Some breeders will even offer a live video of the parents if they are going to be kept inside, this way you can see just how active they are as well as how healthy their bloodline is before agreeing to buy from them. You also want to watch out for any type of breeder who does not care about where their dogs come from because these people will not care what happens to those pups either. It is always best when buying from a breeder to find someone who only breeds with other responsible hobbyists or people who show their dogs so that they can ensure that both parents have been tested for any health issues and that they will not breed with any dog who has known health problems. This way you know that your pup is going to be healthy from the start.
In most cases it is not a good idea to buy from puppy mills since their dogs are usually kept in poor conditions and may end up having larger issues down the road when it comes time for them to give birth or when their joints start to show signs of arthritis later on in life. You can tell by looking around for large numbers of dogs all living in one area which would indicate a mill situation. If this is how your local breeder keeps their dogs then make sure to avoid buying from them since this is often an indicator that they do not care about what happens with their pups at all.
Questions to Ask
Ask for References from Your Dachshund Breeder in Illinois
When you find a breeder that you are interested in talking to it would be wise to ask them for references from other people who have bought pups from them, this will help you gauge just how good their customer service is before making the decision to buy. If they are not willing to give you any names or contact information then chances are they are either hiding something or simply cannot be trusted with your business. Make sure that if there were any kinds of problems with these pups when they were born or after they came home that the issue was quickly taken care of rather than being blown off so that it doesn’t happen again in the future.
Ask Your Illinois Dachshund Breeder if You Can Meet Past Customers
Another great idea is to ask your breeder if you can talk to any of their past customers so that you can hear about their experiences with them directly. You want to look for someone who has come back to buy more than just one pup since this shows that they are happy with the breeder themselves and how prepared they were each time the dog was born. Make sure that whoever gave good reviews took their pups home at an early age so that any health issues can be caught quickly before costing even more money down the road later on, remember it is always better to pay a little bit extra up front if it means getting healthy pups than buying from someone who does not care where their dogs come from.
Does Your Illinois Dachshund Breeder Have A Good Veterinarian They Use?
It is always best when buying a pup to find someone who already goes to the same veterinarian that you will be taking your pup to since this ensures they are familiar with the breeder’s dogs and their bloodlines. If you cannot find any vets in your area that they recommend then chances are good that they either keep their dogs in poor conditions or do not care about where their pups end up, avoid these people at all costs since it is better for everyone involved if you just go somewhere else. You can also ask them what kind of vaccination program they have used on each dog so that you know how healthy their pups are likely to be upon bringing home.
Finding Your Dachshund Puppies For Sale In Illinois
If you are ready to start looking for your own pup then it would be wise to head over and check their website since most reputable breeders list the same information that is displayed on their business cards and advertisements here. If you find nothing or very little about the dog’s health, parents, and how they were raised then this would indicate a breeder who does not care enough about what happens with their pups beyond selling them before finding new buyers which means they should probably be avoided at all costs.
Expect to Pay for Good Puppies for Sale in Illinois
Lastly remember that no puppy is ever going to come cheap so if someone tries to sell you one too cheap there is definitely something wrong somewhere. A good breeder will have no issues letting you come check out their dogs any time of the day and will be willing to answer any questions you have about them so that you know they are a good fit. Make sure they have a clean environment for their pups with plenty of food, water, and fresh air or else this is a sign they do not care what happens to their animals. No healthy breeder is going to risk spending all their time and money raising a litter into adulthood only to sell them as unhealthy pups since it hurts both themselves as well as the breed as whole when people start breeding those dogs with known health problems expecting normal results.
5 Signs of An Unethical Dachshund Dog Breeder in Illinois
The dachshund is one of the most popular breeds for sale in Illinois and it should be easy to find dachshund puppies for sale, however you need to beware of unethical breeders. There are certain practices that all reputable breeders will follow but there are other red flags that can indicate an unethical breeder or even a puppy mill where dogs are not receiving proper care. The five signs below should help you avoid these problems when looking for your new pup to bring home.
- Available Information: If there is no information available about the dogs parents, health testing done on them including hips and eyes, vaccinations they have received, etc then this could mean that the breeder does not want anyone else to know what has been done with the dogs and this could be a sign of an unethical breeder. If there is no information about the puppies or where they come from then it should also not be hard to see that the breeder does not want you asking questions which could mean trouble as well.
- Puppies Kept Inside: While it is not always possible for dachshund pups to stay outside until they are ready to find their new owners, the vast majority of breeders keep them inside and only transfer them outside once they have had all their shots and can remain out there safely. Keeping dogs inside means that other animals such as flies and mosquitos cannot bother them and helps ensure that any problems do not end up spreading easily between dogs before someone catches it. It is also much more possible to determine their health better when they are kept inside. If you go visit the breeders home and see that the dogs are left outside then this is definitely a red flag for an unethical breeder who is not concerned with your new pets’ health or safety.
- Unsafe Environment: You want to find out if the dogs are being kept in safe environments where there are no chemicals, dead animals, sharp objects, etc around them so that it makes it hard on their immune systems. Keep in mind that thorough cleaning does not always ensure that something is truly safe either since chemicals can still remain in most homes even after cleaning them. Go ahead and ask what products have been used for cleaning before coming so you know what has been used and if they cannot provide you with any information or they seem uncomfortable about this then this is another sign of an unethical breeder.
- Advertising: If the breeder has ads on websites such as Craigslist for puppies for sale in Illinois then it is likely that they care more about how many dogs they can get rid of rather than finding suitable homes for them all. This also means that most people looking to buy the puppy will not be aware of what they are getting and will simply think that they are getting a new pet and may not understand the training and care required.
- Pricing: – It should be easy to find dachshund puppies for sale, however if the price seems extremely low compared to other breeders then this could mean that the dogs are not being well taken care of. It takes time, effort, and money to properly care for these dogs so if the cost seems too low then it is likely that someone made a mistake when determining the price or they are not taking any money out for what it costs them to take care of each dog.