Maltese Puppies for Sale in New York
Maltese are a wonderful breed of dog to own. Their large, dark eyes and tiny feet make them absolutely adorable. If you are considering buying a Maltese puppy for sale in New York, there are a few important things that you should know about this breed.
Maltese are wonderful lapdogs, who love to follow you around. They enjoy being with their family and will attach themselves to one person in particular. This dog is an excellent companion for children, as it loves to play but also enjoys just sitting on your lap or next to you on the couch. Maltese are very intelligent and easy to train, so they can become a much-loved member of your family without even trying.
One Thing You Need To Ask Your Dog Breeder
Breeders have created Maltese dogs with a wide variety of coat colors. You can find dogs who have black, blue or white coats. Many people choose a Maltese puppy for sale in New York because they want a rarer coat color, such as chocolate or lavender.
The short-haired coat that many people refer to as the ‘powder puff’ cut is another popular option. This type of grooming leaves your dog looking even more innocent and cute than you thought possible. No matter what style you go with, though, make sure that you keep this dog brushed often. The soft fur gets tangled very quickly and requires regular brushing to stay tangle-free and beautiful. Your breeder can show you how to groom your new family member.
Let us help you find the perfect Maltese puppy for your family. Check out our list of reputable New York Maltese breeders down below.
Maltese Breeders List In New York
|Puppy Boutique||Brooklyn, NY||718-232-2079||Website|
|Sportsman’s Kennels||Manorville, NY||631-727-3550||Website|
|Central Park Puppies||Yonkers, NY||914-207-7558||Website|
|BowWow Babies®||Huntington, NY||631-923-3111||Website|
|NYC Breeders||Brooklyn, NY||718-238-7387||Website|
|Petite Pets Puppy Boutique||Huntington Station, NY||631-424-6262||Website|
|Puppy Paws||Ozone Park, NY||718-323-7297||Website|
|Long Island Maltese||Long Island, NY||631-938-1457||Website|
|Bea Ane’s Maltese||Babylon, NY||631-587-9773||Website|
|Orange County Maltese||Middletown, NY||914-318-0223||Website|
Maltese Breeder Details In New York
Alternative Places to Purchase a Maltese Puppy
Maltese Breeders in Neighboring States
- Maltese Breeders In Connecticut
- Maltese Breeders In Delaware
- Maltese Breeders In New Jersey
- Maltese Breeders In Pennsylvania
For the complete list please see our Resource Page page.
What Is The Average Price for A Maltese Puppy in New York?
The average price for a Maltese puppy in New York is between $900 and $1,300. This price range can fluctuate depending on what type of Maltese you are looking to purchase, whether it be a pet quality or show quality dog. There can also be a difference in breeders in regards to prices, some may charge more than others do because they provide their dogs with better care and living conditions.
Purebred bloodlines for your Maltese puppy will also affect the price. If you are looking for a designer breed like a Maltipoo or Morkie, prices can reach upwards of $1,500. Rare colors, like the ones mentioned before, can also drive up the price of a Maltese dog.
Is It Possible to Find A Free Maltese Puppy in New York?
Unfortunately, there are no free Maltese puppies in New York. There may be a few websites that will claim to offer “free pups”, however, this is generally a ploy used by puppy mills and breeders themselves to get you to contact them. You should never buy a dog from anyone who says that they can give it away for free, as the reason behind that would usually be because the dog has serious health problems or diseases.
How to Find A Responsible Maltese Breeder in New York
Finding a responsible breeder can be difficult, however, there are a few things that you can do to ensure that the breeder is reputable. Check out our list of questions below to ask breeders when you contact them.
Are you a member of any Maltese breed-specific clubs? This means joining organizations like The Maltese Club of America (MCA) or an official Maltese club in your state. While this does not guarantee that the breeder is good, it shows that they are serious about breeding quality pets and that they care about preserving the history and integrity of the breed.
- Do you show your dogs competitively? A true dog lover who breeds for love instead of money will compete with their dogs in events such as conformation shows, dog agility or obedience competitions. Some breeders have high standards for their dogs and will not breed a litter until they are completely satisfied with the amount of health testing that has been done on the parents.
- Do you provide your puppy buyers with support after the sale? A responsible breeder should be there to answer any questions that you may have about caring for your new pet, as well as to help you train them. They should also offer continued support if problems do arise after you receive your Maltese pup in New York.
- Will I be able to meet both of my puppy’s parents? This is important because it allows you to see what type of personality or physical traits the parent breeds might carry on to their puppies.
These are just a few questions that can help guide you on your Maltese puppy purchase.
Visit Your New York Maltese Breeder in Person
Make sure to visit your new Maltese breeder in person to see where the dog has been living. The best breeders are raising their puppies in a loving family environment, not out of sight in some backroom or garage. You want to know that you’re visiting a breeder who truly cares about his/her dogs and is taking good care of them.
Visiting your new Maltese puppy’s home will also give you an opportunity to get to know the breeder and ask questions about their experience and background. At the same time, it’ll provide you with useful information on how to train and care for your new companion. Plus, this is also a good time for kids and other family members to spend some quality time with the new Maltese puppies.
Questions to Ask
Ask for References from Your Maltese Breeder in New York
Before you bring home that new Maltese puppy, make sure to ask your breeder for references from previous buyers. The best breeders are proud of their dogs and will be more than happy to give out names and numbers of people who might recommend them. At the same time, it’s also a good idea to contact these people yourself in order to discuss their experience with the breeder.
At least one or two references won’t be enough – you need at least three before you can proceed with your purchase decision. This number should include current owners, past owners (if applicable) and even veterinarians. For example, if possible, get in touch with the veterinarian that has been taking care of this dog throughout his/her life.
References will be able to provide you with helpful insight into the breeder’s experience and professionalism. Make sure to look for a Maltese breeder in New York that has been in the business for at least 5 years, this way you’ll be able to see how they have progressed over time.
Ask Your New York Maltese Breeder If You Can Meet Past Customers
If you feel comfortable asking, make sure to ask your breeder if you can contact some of their past customers. If they’re not willing to do this, then it might be a good idea for you to continue looking elsewhere.
Unfortunately, not all Maltese breeders are honest – in fact, there are many that sell dogs with existing medical issues or who have been poorly bred which is why it’s so important for you to choose the right one. This may cost more money in the long run but will save you lots of heartache and disappointment.
A responsible Maltese breeder in New York will have nothing against letting you speak with previous buyers if only because they want their dogs to go to loving homes.
Meeting past customers will allow you to see how the dogs have developed over time and ask any questions you might have. For example, if possible, try to meet up with some of these people in person so that they can also introduce you to their dog(s).
Does Your New York Maltese Breeder Have A Good Veterinarian They Use?
It’s important to learn about the breeder’s veterinarian. This person should be an active part of your Maltese’s life, providing you with helpful information on vaccinations, nutrition, and general grooming.
Your Maltese breeder in New York should have a good relationship with their vet to whom they can refer you when necessary. They should also keep them updated on your dog’s progress throughout his/her life and take advice from them whenever necessary.
Make sure to check if the veterinary clinic is clean and provides adequate services for your new Maltese puppy – it needs to be equipped with modern equipment so that your dog gets all the care he/she needs in case of an emergency.
Look Out for The Signs of An Unethical Maltese Dog Breeder in New York
Unfortunately, not all Maltese breeders can be trusted so it’s very important for you to do your research and see if the person in front of you is trustworthy. To help with this, we’ve provided a list of signs that might indicate that they’re unethical:
- The breeder charges higher than average prices – there are lots of people who would like to sell puppies with existing medical issues which is why they sometimes overprice these animals. This just makes them more attractive to buyers and provides you with less room when negotiating the price down.
- They refuse to show photos or videos of their dogs – rarely would a responsible breeder refuse to show photos or even videos of their adult dogs. If this person refuses to provide you with these, then it might be a sign that they have something to hide which includes the breeder’s inexperience or overbreeding of dogs.
- They’re not willing to provide you with contact information for their previous buyers
A responsible Maltese dog breeder in New York will not hesitate to provide you with reference letters from previous clients so that you can see for yourself how the dogs have developed over time. If this person has nothing against letting you meet up with these people, then this is another sign of an unethical breeder.
Ask The New York Breeder If Your Maltese Puppy Has Any Health Problems
While not every Maltese will have any serious health problems, you should learn more about the common ones that might occur. To be on the safe side, ask your breeder if they know of any Maltese in their line that has had similar issues.
A great way to find one is by asking past buyers for references – lots of them are experienced dog owners so you’re likely to hear some good feedback on whether or not these dogs tend to develop certain health problems.
Of course, it’s important to go and see this information for yourself as well which is why we recommend taking a tour of the premises and checking if everything looks okay before making a final decision on where you want to buy your new Maltese from. What signs do
How to Prepare Your Home for Your Maltese Puppy
If you’re bringing home a Maltese, it’s important that he/she has the perfect environment to grow up in which includes your home. To ensure that everything goes smoothly, here are some tips on how to prepare for your new dog:
- The First Few Weeks: Your Maltese is likely going to be very nervous and won’t act like his/her usual self so don’t worry if they start whining or barking throughout the day – this is perfectly normal. It’s best not to leave them alone during this time so you can be there when they need affection.
- The House Training Process: You should wear gloves while you train your pup not to go potty in certain areas of the house as well as teach them where you want them to go. Make sure to praise them as soon as they do their business where you want them to because this is how they learn best.
- They Need a Secure Fence if You Have a Backyard: Maltese dogs are very persistent and sometimes choose not to listen when told what to do – if you have a backyard with a fence, then that’s great but it might need a secure barrier just in case your dog decides that he/she wants to escape instead of listening. Luckily, there are lots of ways on how you can prevent this from happening so make sure to check these options out.
Potty Training Your New Maltese Puppy
Potty training is something that should be done to every dog but it’s especially important if you want your Maltese to grow up well-behaved.
Make sure to take them out on a leash or in a safe spot where they can do their business and praise them as soon as they finish so that they know this is the right place to go potty. The first few weeks might be filled with accidents and other mistakes, but eventually, your Maltese will go potty outside.
Remember, patience and consistency are vital to ensuring that your Maltese pup learns everything he/she needs to know in order to grow up healthy and well-behaved.