Maltese Puppies for Sale in Oklahoma
Maltese are small, active, and friendly dogs. They are known to be great pets for families with kids because of their affectionate nature. Maltese can be excellent watchdogs due to their tendency to bark at unfamiliar sounds. The average life expectancy of a Maltese dog is 12-15 years. There are about 6 million registered Maltese in the US alone; making it one of the most popular breeds in America. It’s often called the ‘dog in a fur coat’.
Maltese breeders try their level best to provide healthy puppies that live up to people’s expectations. This article talks about reputable Maltese breeders in Oklahoma who raise healthy puppies, conduct genetic testing on them before they are placed for sale, and take back puppies under certain circumstances. You can also find some useful information about taking care of Maltese puppies here.
Maltese are one of the most beautiful breeds in the world. They have long silky coats, blue eyes and a characteristic black nose. They are very active dogs with an average life expectancy of 12-15 years. This breed is known to be friendly, intelligent and gentle in nature. Because they have heavy coats, it’s important for them to live in clean environments with air conditioning during summers. Since they are prone to heatstroke this is indeed very important.
Let us help you find the perfect Maltese for your family. Check out our list below of reputable Maltese breeders in Oklahoma.
Maltese Breeders List In Oklahoma
|Royal Puppy Love||Shawnee, OK||405-200-2888||Website|
|Jaco Kennel||Hulbert, OK||918-456-6731||Website|
|P J’s Kennels||Maysville, OK||405-207-1946||Website|
|Paws N Tails Pups||Sallisaw, OK||479-420-2118||Website|
|Heartland Puppies||Cordell, OK||580-660-0120||Website|
|Linda Simpson||Lexington, OK||405-527-6930||No Website|
|Jeri Medler||Eufaula, OK||918-490-0412||No Website|
Maltese Breeder Details In Oklahoma
Alternative Places to Purchase a Maltese Puppy
Maltese Breeders in Neighboring States
- Maltese Breeders In Arkansas
- Maltese Breeders In Colorado
- Maltese Breeders In Missouri
- Maltese Breeders In Texas
For the complete list please see our Maltese Reference Links page.
What Is The Average Price for A Maltese Puppy in Oklahoma?
The average price of a Maltese puppy in Oklahoma ranges between $400 to $800 which is quite affordable.
The bloodlines and lineage of the puppies should be thoroughly checked before buying. Reputable breeders charge a little extra for their dogs because they invest in genetic research and health testing of parents, do bloodlines checks, provide high-quality food and supplements free of cost to their dogs, offer training programs, etc.
Also, rarer colors like white, black and tan, parti or pure white can cost more as compared to other colors. Puppies from veteran parents are generally priced higher as well due to their proven bloodlines.
Is It Possible to Find a Free Maltese Puppy in Oklahoma?
Free Maltese puppies are almost never advertised. Most breeders only give away their dogs under special circumstances like needing to re-home them because the mother is not able to nurse properly, or if they were born with a genetic defect and cannot be sold (in which case it’s really kind of them to take care of the dog for its entire life).
Reputable breeders do not advertise free puppies because they invest in genetic research and health testing of parents, provide high-quality food and supplements free of cost to their dogs, offer training programs, etc. Though it may sometimes cost more than what you expect, buying from a responsible breeder definitely sets you up for success.
How to Find A Responsible Maltese Breeder in Oklahoma
Finding a responsible Maltese breeder is the most important part of finding a puppy for you and your family. Here are a few clues to help you sort through.
- Breeders should be asking you questions before you ask them anything at all. The more information they know about you and your home, living conditions, lifestyle, etc… the better they will be able to match you with the best puppy for your home. If a breeder does not want to know anything about you, then walk away.
- A good breeder’s primary concern is the well-being and placement of their puppies: in order to achieve this goal, they place priority in finding quality homes and screening potential buyers in order to guarantee that each Maltese sold goes to a safe and loving home. These breeders know what questions to ask in order to identify good homes vs bad ones and will only sell a dog if they feel that it will go into a good home..
- Good breeders can tell you all about their dog’s personality, medical history ,and how he/she interacts with other animals and children. A good breeder will also want to meet you in person before selling a dog, not just send a deposit and have you pick the pup up at the airport.
- Reputable breeders will provide a written contract that includes a health guarantee, care instructions, and any other special needs the Maltese may require based on their bloodline. They will also take back your dog anytime during his/her life if they are having problems with you or your environment.
- Good breeders always know their puppy’s parents -what health issues they have had in the past, what hereditary conditions appear in their bloodlines, etc.. If a breeder cannot provide proof of these things – away-they are hiding something.
Visit Your Oklahoma Maltese Breeder in Person
Make sure you can actually go and visit your potential breeder’s facility in person before you make a purchase. You want to see where the dogs are living and ensure that the conditions are suitable for Maltese puppies.
Visiting your breeder in person will allow you to see the dogs’ environment, health, and personalities. You should also be able to meet any other animals on the property so you know what your puppy will be exposed to every day.
If you are willing to drive a long distance in order to visit the breeder of your choice, then by all means do so.
Do not be afraid to ask questions of your breeder, but keep in mind that they may not know which questions to ask back- so just look around and decide what you think. If the breeder does not allow you to visit their facility or lives with their dogs in extremely poor conditions, then do not buy from them.
Questions to Ask
Ask for References from Your Maltese Breeder in Oklahoma
Your breeder should be able to provide names and contact information for at least a few references. Speak with these families and ask them about the dog from your breeder – if you are unable to visit in person, then speak with someone who has seen both the puppy and his/her environment.
A good breeder will also give you a written contract that guarantees a refund of some sort if anything happens to your Maltese during a certain period of time following your purchase. Reputable breeders do not want to take back their puppy, but they know that sometimes things happen, so they put it into writing.
References will be able to tell you if their puppy is still in good health or not, what type of personality your new dog has, and if they’ve had any problems.
If the references are not very happy with their Maltese breeder, then it may be best to avoid that kennel altogether.
Ask Your Oklahoma Maltese Breeder if You Can Meet Past Customers
A good breeder will be more than happy to produce contact information and allow you to speak with past customers of theirs. These customers may not have had any problems with the breeder, but if they did – it is better for you if you know up-front so that you can avoid purchasing a dog from them also.
Meeting past customers will allow you to see if the breeder is honest and reliable, or not. If they’ve had any Maltese problems in the past- such as health issues, allergies, temperament problems – then you will be able to find out about them right away before purchasing a puppy from that breeder.
Does Your Oklahoma Maltese Breeder Have A Good Veterinarian They Use?
Make sure that your breeder has a good relationship with the veterinarian that they use for their dogs. You should also be able to see medical records showing that all of the puppies have had their first set of vaccinations and are ready to go to their new homes.
A reputable breeder will want to take care of their pups even after you buy one, so they should be available for any questions or concerns you might have about your Maltese throughout his/her life.
A good breeder/veterinarian relationship is not something that just happens overnight, so be sure to ask your breeder why they chose their current vet and how long they have been using them for their dogs’ health.
Look out for The Signs of An Unethical Maltese Dog Breeder in Oklahoma
There are many warning signs that you should look out for when choosing your Maltese breeder. If you see any of these things, then it is time to move on to the next kennel.
- No References Available: You should be able to contact people who have purchased dogs from this breeder in the past so that you can ask them questions about their experience with the breeders and Maltese temperament, health, behavior problems, etc. Chances are if they won’t give references- then there is a very good reason why not (such as health issues).
- Living Conditions: Your puppy’s living conditions are just as important as yours- perhaps even more so. Dogs need companionship and socialization every day of their lives no matter what the breed. If you are not allowed to visit where your dog is living during his/her development, then be wary of buying from that breeder.
- Puppy Mill: This can be one of the biggest warning signs of all when looking for a Maltese breeder in Oklahoma. A truly responsible breeder wants to take care of their own pups until they are ready to leave- which means that they should never have more than a couple of litters at any given time. There is no reason why someone should have large numbers of puppies unless they are bussing them out as fast as possible without taking very good care of them or socializing them properly.
- Breeder Will Not Give You Price Information: The price of your new Maltese should be discussed before you actually go to pick him/her up. A breeder who will not give you a price over the phone is hiding something. Either they are testing your commitment, or they have an unbelievably high price in mind that they just don’t want to share with any potential buyers.
Ask The Oklahoma Breeder If Your Maltese Puppy Has Any Health Problems
Most responsible breeders want to produce healthy dogs so that they are not suffering from any health problems at all. If your breeder has a problem with you asking for this information, then it is best if you just move on to another kennel.
It is always better to ask up-front about the Maltese’s medical history rather than wait until later when you discover something was wrong with your dog when he/she was younger.
Once you have checked out all of these things when looking for a good Oklahoma Maltese breeder, then it might be time to consider making an offer on one of their puppies. You can never go wrong if you follow this advice.
Ask For Medical Records When Buying Your Oklahoma Maltese
Make sure to ask your breeder for his/her Maltese medical records before making a purchase. These should include the date of birth, any treatments or medications given at birth, deworming information, and general health information about the parents.
If you are paying a large sum of money for your puppy – especially if you are purchasing him/her as a show dog- then you have every right to request this information. Nothing good can come from buying without knowing anything about the parent’s health backgrounds.
How to Prepare Your Home for Your Maltese Puppy
There are many things you will need to do before bringing your new puppy home. First of all, make sure to visit the vet right away so that he can give your pet his first set of shots and let you know about any health problems.
Don’t forget to buy a crate for your dog- this is something that every household with a dog should have. You might also want to invest in some other necessary accessories such as food bowls, leashes, collars, beds, toys, etc.
The most important thing you can do however is start training immediately. Your Maltese will not be trained at birth- even though they are born with natural instincts- so it is up to you to show him/her what behavior is acceptable and what is not.
No matter what, if you start training right away and set some boundaries early on in your Maltese’s life, then he/she will be a wonderful addition to your home for many years to come.
Potty Training Your New Maltese Puppy
Potty training is the most important thing you will ever do for your dog. When you are potty training on one of these small dogs, it only takes a few accidents before he/she understands that you will not tolerate this behavior.
The first step to Potty Training Your Oklahoma Maltese Puppy is to find the right kind of food and treats that motivate him or her. You can also start by potty training with paper if necessary- just be sure that you clean up all urine and feces after every accident. With this little bit of work, your new puppy should get the idea quickly.
Remember, patience and persistence are the keys to success when Potty Training Your Maltese Puppy.